Bangladesh Marine Academy Ex Cadets have formed their most coveted Association, The Alumni Association of Bangladesh Marine Academy (AABMA) Society. The formation of the Alumni Association (AABMA) was long overdue.
Like any other prestigious institution, the Bangladesh Marine Academy alumni's required a common platform to share their feelings, brotherhood, fellow feelings & to foster fraternity, good will & cherished dreams of Seas, with the ever undiminished nostalgia & memoirs of their beloved Ulma Mater - the creation of the AABMA is thus a milestone & an important step forward, in nursing & achieving those goals.
Pakistan along with the then East Pakistan (later Bangladesh) became independent in 1947 from British rule when there was no maritime education centre. In the process of developing various training institutions/facilities by the then Pakistan Govt., a scheme for establishing a Marine Academy beside Bay of Bengal had been sanctioned in 1952. Juldia Point (valleys of Juldia-Rangadia) at the east-bank of Karnaphuly river-mouth at Bay of Bengal, was chosen for the planned Academy. With the intention/idea to create a ship-like environment aesthetically with the geographical location, the Juldia Point was selected as it was almost like a ship but not floating ! Such a suitable facility/location was unique in the country and was not available from Suez to South-East Asian countries except India. (Ref : Project Plan - Development of Marine Academy, 1973-1980 ).
Planning & Building of basic infrastructure commenced in phases after the allocation of the budget . The establishment budget was Taka 31.19 lacs in 1952, then increased to Taka 53 lacs in 1959 and finally to Taka 58.3 lacs in 1961. The initial project was completed with the aim of training 22 Nautical Cadet Officers and 22 Marine Engineering Cadet Officers. The newly built Mercantile Marine Academy (as it was named at that time) went into functioning from 3rd September 1962 under the leadership of the 1st Commandant Commodore Mohammed Asif Alavi, PN. During the initial years (1962-1971), in absence of qualified Merchant Marine officers/trainers, the officers and staff from Pakistan Navy with a few Merchant Mariners, took charge of the teaching, training & administration of the Academy . First batch of 42 Cadets successfully passed out from this Academy in 1964.